- Posted by James Canada
Research indicates that the majority of work that’s done within a process is not directly value-added to the final product or service. Think of the routing of parts or information, the checking, approvals, revisions required, delays in returning or re-routing, etc. – and it’s very clear that there’s opportunity for improvement. Many of these steps require more of a mindset and associated simple process changes rather than significant investments in new technology or information systems.
The Rapid Change methodology is an approach designed to identify process improvement recommendations, through cross-functional teams, that can be implemented quickly. Processes are streamlined, modified, eliminated or improved to increase overall business performance and empowerment, utilizing employees that know the process best. It focuses on eliminating non-value-added tasks from existing processes which could include reviews, reports, approvals, meetings, measurements, policies and other procedures.
How Raid Change Methodology Helps
Developed to help organizations achieve immediate impact and value, it is a fast-paced, highly focused process improvement approach that’s designed to:
- Quickly identify opportunities for immediate improvement.
- Streamline,modify or quickly add value to current processes.
- Reduce or eliminate organizational bureaucracy.
- Empower employees at all levels to identify and implement solutions.
- Introduce change quickly to the organizations-preparing the culture (environment) for the larger changes to come.
- Create valued products and services for customers.
- Begin a longer-term change that focuses on transforming working relationships between employees and managers-and instills the mindset of continuously looking for
- improvement in all elements of how work gets done.
- Generate competitive profits for shareholders.
The goal for any business process is to have all value-added steps in getting the work done as efficiently and quickly as possible. In addition to eliminating non-value-added tasks, the recommendations may involve adding steps to the process to facilitate its execution. Sometimes a process contains gaps where the process breaks down. By simply adding a step to bridge the gap, the entire process runs more efficiently.
Rapid change methodology has saved millions of dollars through process improvements in order-to-delivery, cycle time, new product introduction approaches, purchasing, inventory management, financial system, part standardization and supplier management initiatives. In addition, thousands of ideas have been implemented which improve the overall work environment.
Jim is an operations, business development and program/project management leader with Executive Management experience in both Service and Manufacturing environments.
About Alliance Technologies
Alliance Technologies is a St. Louis area technology services, staff augmentation, and consulting services firm. Contact us to learn more about how Alliance can help your business succeed.