- Posted by Jonathan Eggers
- On June 21, 2016
Recently, Citrix announced their product GoToMyPC compromised by a sophisticated password attack. GoToMyPC maintains that their own infrastructure wasn’t infiltrated, but instead usernames and passwords from other recent security breaches, such as the recent LinkedIN breach, were being systematically used to try to log into GoToMyPC. This is a good example of why security experts recommend using 2FA, or two-factor authentication, and recommend against reusing passwords for multiple online services.
GoToMyPC decided to reset all of their user’s passwords as a security precaution. In GoToMyPC’s communication with their users they said, “In order to protect our customers, we have set a mandatory password reset for all GoToMyPC users. We encourage our members to enable two-step verification, and to use strong passwords in order to keep their accounts as safe as possible.”
Furthermore, they recommend the following:
- Don’t use a word from the dictionary
- Select strong passwords that can’t easily be guessed with 8 or more characters
- Make it Complex – Randomly add capital letters, punctuation or symbols
- Substitute numbers for letters that look similar (for example, substitute “0” for “o” or “3” for “E”)
- Don’t use the same password in more than one place
- We recommend everyone use the 2-step Verification option for GoToMyPC accounts.
We at Alliance Technologies, LLC take our client’s security seriously and are committed to protecting client data. We require all of our employees to have complicated passwords, utilize 2-factor authentication wherever available, have passwords expire at regular intervals, and use unique passwords between services. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions about the security measure we have in place.
Jonathan has over 15 years of experience in information technology, with a focus on IT strategy and enterprise architecture.
About Alliance Technologies
Alliance Technologies is a St. Louis area technology services, staff augmentation, and consulting services firm. Contact us to learn more about how Alliance can help your business succeed.